Monday, October 27, 2008

Happy and Sad Weekend!

This was a weekend of happiness and sadness.  A dear friend, basically family to us, died in a horrible car accident late Friday.  He was the type to always make you smile.  Rarely did you see him in a bad mood or grumpy.  He was silly and just a big kid with a giant heart of gold.  When my mother-in-law was in the later stages of Alzheimer's he took a lot of care of her for our family.  He has always held a special place in my heart.  Since I heard the news of him passing, I keep thinking back a couple of Halloweens ago to a family party where he wore a cow costume.  Complete with udders on his belly!  It was so funny the memory makes giggle every time I think of it.  This is what he would want.  He was a dear man, with a sweet wife, and great kids and grandkids.  I will miss my friend.
The happier side of the weekend was getting to see my own father on his birthday yesterday.  The weather was perfect.  A sunny, fairly mild fall day.  We are just past peak colors here, but it is still a beautiful fall.  We went out to lunch, and then apple picking on a gorgeous hill overlooking the now yellow, orange, and brown hills in the distance.  Taking a hayride over to the orchard and then playing with some sheep and goats.  My kids went through the corn maze (again!), though it is now dry and pale, instead of green stalks of corn.  I will post a shot or two of the corn stalks below, if you would like to see them.
Today is the first start to a week with no kids home sick in weeks.  I am headed to my craft shed, going to start a fire in the wood stove, and get to creating.  I am starting to feel the early twinges of Christmas fever coming on.  I love Christmas, even all the stress.  This year I want to concentrate on making things for the people I care about.  Life is short, and I feel it's important to show, and tell the folks you care about how much they mean to you.  That can make all the difference!  Peace.

No comments: